Sponsored Links

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Album Review - Big Kenny's The Quiet Times Of A Rock And Roll Farm Boy

I'm really proud of Big Kenny.  His latest solo project, The Quiet Times of a Rock and Roll Farm Boy is receiving some well-deserved positive reviews.  While perusing Billboard.com today, I came across this review from a few weeks ago:

In many ways, Big Kenny and John Rich-who make up country duo Big & Rich-are the perfect couple. But Big Kenny's new album, "The Quiet Times of a Rock and Roll Farm Boy," is a thoughtful, often profound sojourn into musical independence-his former major label reportedly rejected every solo project he turned in. That frustration led to the defiant "Free Like Me," which warns, "Don't fit me inside your expectations/You'll never know everything I can be." Big Kenny's musical kinship with Rich is evident on "Wake Up," in which the singer demonstrates moving poetry and surprisingly head-turning lead vocals. 

The lead single, "Long After I'm Gone," is a midtempo stop-and-smell-the-roses anthem, while "To Find a Heart" may well be the album's sleeper hit. Sonically, "Farm Boy" puts the artist's influences on intriguing display (he cites Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, the Beatles, Queen, Bob Marley and Bill Withers, among others), yet manages the often elusive feat of a cohesive, articulate and entertaining experience from first note to last. --Wade Jessen

I love this album. It's actually one of my favorite albums of the year so far. What's even cooler is Kenny put together a video album featuring all of the songs. I featured it a few weeks ago, and if you missed it, I'd highly recommend you check it out.

If you don't own the album yet, I'd recommend you pick it up. It'd be a great stocking stuffer for Christmas.

Subscribe to our RSS Feed - Never Miss Another Video

Follow Us on Twitter

No comments:

Sponsored Sites

Related Posts with Thumbnails